2.26.2007

Who's the Dummy that decided they should be called Wisdom Teeth?

I awoke Friday with a horrible pain in the left side of my face. I've known my wisdom teeth have needed to come out for a while now, but the time has yet to seem appropriate. I was going to get them taken out prior to the wedding, but didn't want to look like a chipmunk for the pictures, then there's school I don't want to/can't miss, we had our honeymoon over Xmas break and now I'm in pain. Any of you who have already been through this know what I'm talking about. I've been eating fist-fulls of ibuprofen and coating the inside of my mouth with that fantastic tasting salve, ora-gel.

Wisdom teeth are called such because you get them when you're older and, supposedly, wiser. But thank you, evolution, for instilling millions of us with teeth we can't use. The modern human jaw is too small to accommodate a third set of molars, but most of us get them anyway. You'd think that with all the improvements we've had, developed frontal lobe, walking upright, opposable thumbs, and the like, that mother nature would see to it that we got this taken care of years ago. I suppose that it is possible that our medicine advanced faster than evolution, so people that should be dying are reproducing, one would still think that with the advent of the smaller lower jaw would come with fewer teeth. But Noooo. Doesn't seem very wise to me. More like Whiz-Dumb teeth.

Anyway, I have a preliminary appointment with an oral surgeon on the 13th. I can't wait.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger I'm Jennifer said...

Congrats, hopefully you'll be pain free soon. Honestly, you may want to see if you can get in earlier somewhere else, since you're in pain, that's a long time to wait. As a dental assistant, I've seen lots of people in tooth pain before and I know it sucks. Ask to keep your teeth, you can make some jewelry for your wife. J/K.

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home