8.07.2006

The History Channel should have a warning label

"For entertainment purposes only".

Really, if I were this unsuccessful at work, I'd be out of a job. I love to watch the History Channel and for a while I've watched Josh Bernstein not find the truth on a show entitled "Digging for the Truth". Seriously, he's sought the truth behind every historical question you can imagine thus far from the Ark of the Covenant to the Lost Colony at Roanoke Island, and so far, no truth to be found.

Every time the show ends I hear these words, "another one of the world's mysteries, still unsolved", or something similar. For whatever reason, this guy is still working. Don't get me wrong, he's got a tough job, but I didn't ask him to find the Holy Grail or Atlantis, he put that burden on himself. Why not go for a slightly easier goal, like "where's my car keys?" Or, "where did my sock go when it disappeared from the dryer?" Maybe you can even step it up a bit and ask a question like "why does route 288 run east-west and the exits are marked north and south?" (It's also even numbered, like a route that runs east-west) Granted, these may not be TV worthy, but as far as I'm concerned, neither is not finding the truth on a show obviously intended to find, I dunno, the truth.

So what's the only other occupation you can be wrong all the time and still have a job? Meteorologist. (I would've said weatherman, but that's no longer PC) Really, is it the fact that these guys are on TV that allows them to be wrong all the time and not get fired? Or maybe it's that both of these jobs are related to fortune tellers, psychic hotlines and newspaper horoscopes. Smart people know it's full of crap, but we keep checking to see if maybe, just maybe this time it'll be right. You see, they don't have to be right, we don't expect them to be, just don't get your hopes up too much, after all it's "for entertainment purposes only".

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that show ok. One time he made rope out of stinging nettles which was pretty awesome. I think that was on the Crazy Heads Of Easter Island episode.

One thing I *hate* about the History Channel is the frickin UFO shows. Last time I looked UFO's/aliens were *not* history. ANNOYING. And there are so many of these shows. I don't understand how there can be so many shows on the history channel about things that aren't history.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Fringe Element Enthusiast said...

Yeah that guy on that Digging for the Truth is a pretty boy tool. You know they even fashioned a mini-comic on that show? Promo type comic, but jeez, all the guy does is travel around and listen to dudes yap at him. He probably has NO IDEA what they are telling him!

I do like some history channel shows, but shoot most of the time it's the history of a tank or gun or some Civil War stuff. Re-enactors must be making a buttload off the History Channel. That network has gone the way of Spike TV I'm afraid. History Detectives is still better than some of the current HC line-up....

PDF

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home