4.27.2007

Dear Believer

Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, while crying for unity and promising togetherness, ignore those, and even despise those, outside of themselves. I would say that these religions, while decrying bonds of love, have created more discord and pain than any other reason man can offer. To what end? Do you not realize that you are all standing outside the same house? Your vantage point may be different, but you’re seeing the same show. Even the apostles couldn’t quite agree on who did what or when they may have done it. Who was the first to see Jesus after he left the tomb? Mary Magdalene and Mary, his mother, as in Matthew 28, or was it Simon, as in Luke 24? Because you have all refused each other, you are all standing in darkness, you are all in the cold outside the house of god. As long as you all squabble over which truth is more correct you will be forever beyond the light of god. The truth, warmth, and light of god, is in acceptance. You are like children fighting for the same toy, not realizing until too late that you have broken it. Now no one can have it. Focus instead on your own private relationship with god, make it your own. The light of your spirit will transcend your words. If you want to be a true witness do these things:
  • Take care of those less fortunate than you
  • Treat all people with the same respect, regardless of race, creed, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or social class
  • Focus on knowledge and understanding
  • Focus less on monetary gain
  • Stop arguing about religion and pointless spiritual debacles
  • Focus on your own relationship with god and the sins you are committing, because hypocrites make lousy witnesses
  • Build up your fellow man, not just your "fellows"

If you take less of your time to “witness” to others, begging them to pray to god and telling them to “turn or burn”, or saying things like “Salvation is only for those who throw themselves on the mercy of god and trust in Jesus Christ”, and instead do these things above, you will lead more people to your light than ever before. Would you rather shout about your faith and push people away, or quietly exemplify your faith and let others come to you?

And maybe none of this will mean anything to anyone, but I'm tired of being told to be a Christian, and I'm tired of being told this is a Christian nation. Because it's not, and I don't believe god exists. Pray if you'd like, that's your faith, and if your god works the way you say he does, he'll show me in his way at some point. Until then, stop harassing me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Val said...

It makes me so sad when I think about how some people go about preaching their religion.

When we were at Tech, we heard a story about how one campus ministry went up to a student, laid hands on him, and started praying for him without even speaking to him. It is incredibly inappropriate and intrusive to do something like that.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Dr Jones said...

and here's the other thing:

I'm real tired of people telling me how I feel or what I believe because that's what other people foam at the mouth about. I don't blame god for the evils in the world, I blame people using the name of god. And because religion doesn't exist in a vacuum the power that is associated with it, corrupts. If I choose to believe the writings darwin, that is my belief. I don't criticize anyone for believing the bible because it is written by men. I criticize people for believing in something whose teachings they choose to ignore, especially when it's not convenient to them.

Jesus Christ was a great man, a teacher, a humanist, and a revolutionary, all things I can get down with. As Gandhi once said, "I like your Christ, just not your Christians". Some of the most loving, caring people I've met have been Christians, but on the other hand, some of them have been Satanists, Agnostics, Hindus, Muslims and "other"s.

And Val, yeah, one of my roommates, Luke, was leaving for work one day and was surrounded by some folks who had a prayer circle around him. If you ask me, it's a rape of the spirit.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home