3.21.2006

What I'm Looking For In A Zombie Flick

I've seen many zombie flicks and while exciting, have found them lacking in some aspect or another. My friend James watched Land of the Dead, and basically told me not to bother. So, depressed that George A. Romero is not doing as well as hoped, here's what I'd like to see.
  1. a post apocalyptic world where humans have banded together in small groups to stay alive, and now have a tribal sort of existence.
  2. because of this, modern conventions are few and far between. No electricity, no gasoline, no guns. (or very little of all or some of these)
  3. LOTS OF ZOMBIE HEAD WHACKIN' MELEE!!! I'm talking baseball bats and pickaxes. HELL YEAH!!
  4. people dying...lots of zombies means fewer human survivors
  5. this leads to a whole new societal structure. I'm talking 500 years post-apocalypse, when zombies are still kicking ass and humans have had to revert to a more primitive form. But this means there's new norms and taboos too. Maybe whole groups of zombie-killers roam the land, or there's some sort of underground secret society of zombie hunters. Maybe zombie killing becomes some sort of a rite of passage for kids. I dunno... feudal japan-type society where samurai-esque warriors slice off zombie heads? Really primitive hunter gatherer types beating zombies with clubs... you get my drift.
  6. Wreckage and carnage abound!!! To hell with guns, they're too quick and too easy. Bats and pickaxes... that's what I'm talking about.
Zombie movies are awesome, and have more potential than I feel have been tapped into. Those folks from "The Walking Dead" comics should make a movie. That'd be super cool.

3 Comments:

Blogger Fringe Element Enthusiast said...

Ahhh the good old zombie search. I myself have found many a satisfying outlet via Japanese movies. I have a J-horror column in Carbon-14, and just this past issue I dealt with J-zombie flicks. Here's a few I covered....

Versus - kind of like zombies, undead, kung-fu and yakuza all rolled into one. Lotsa over the top gore n such.

Wild Zero - Punk rock band Guitar Wolf saves the day, kind of like Rock & Roll highschool with zombie and other messed up stuff.

Battlefield Baseball - if you like baseball, then you will dig this off the wall one, more like Living Dead zombie, hilarious and with musical numbers.

Junk - this one probably takes itself the most serious. Yakuza meets US Military meets zombies.

So, okay maybe not exactly what yer looking for but damn fine derivatives!

May the Farce be with you!

P.

12:39 PM  
Blogger mitsugomi said...

Write it up and try to produce it. You've got a better grip on what makes a good zombie movie than, um, a lot of people making zombie movies!

4:05 AM  
Blogger Fringe Element Enthusiast said...

True... when even the creator of the modern zombie flick Romero makes a movie some fans find contemptable, it might be time to make your own damn movie...

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home